Planning Your Wedding at Most Holy Trinity
Welcome to Most Holy Trinity! Our beautiful church is a wonderful place for couples to begin their new life together as husband and wife. The church is air conditioned. Please contact our parish office at 313-965-4450 for more information and to get started with your planning.
- At least one member of the bridal couple (bride or groom) must be Catholic.
- If either party (Catholic or not) has been married before, previous marriages must be annulled or the proper paperwork finalized. This includes weddings that took place outside of the Catholic Church. Inform us of previous marriages when inquiring about available dates. Please do not let a previous marriage deter you from inquiring about getting married in the Catholic Church. Our priests are willing to assist you with the annulment process if necessary.
- Couples who wish to be married at Most Holy Trinity do not need to be registered parishioners.
- There is a six month minimum requirement for marriage preparation. Weddings must have at least six months notice.
- Both bride and groom must be able to be married in the Catholic Church.
- Other rites (Chaldean, Maronite, etc.) may be able to marry at Most Holy Trinity. Please call the office for more details.
- If both the bride and groom are Catholic the wedding ceremony will include Mass.
- Weddings are celebrated on Saturday afternoons in one of the two slots: 12 noon and 2 p.m. Weddings can also be celebrated on other days with more limited options: Sunday weddings can be held at 2 p.m. or 4 p.m.; Friday weddings can be held at either 5 p.m. or 6 p.m. (but not both).
- Weddings are permitted during the seasons of Lent and Advent.
There is a recommended $1,300 donation to Most Holy Trinity for weddings. This includes the following.
- The use of the church on the wedding date for a two-hour block. One hour for the ceremony, one half-hour before the ceremony for primping and details, one half-hour after the ceremony for formal photography.
- A wedding rehearsal the day or two before the ceremony.
- A wedding hostess who will walk you through both the rehearsal and the wedding.
- A celebrant (if needed).
- Organist for the sacred music for your wedding. (Other musical artists are allowed, with permission). Please call the office for more details.
- Utilities and maintenance for you and your guests.
- Upkeep of our historic church.
A $650 nonrefundable down-payment holds the date of the wedding once the couple has submitted their formal request. The balance is due two weeks before the wedding date.
Please note that there is an additional charge of $130 for weddings that take place on holidays or holiday weekends.
One month prior to the wedding, a hostess will be assigned to your wedding. Your hostess will be present at both the rehearsal and the wedding ceremony, assisting the family and answering questions. Please note that everyone involved with the wedding should be present at the rehearsal.
We have two priests and a deacon who can perform your ceremony. Languages available by our celebrants include English, Spanish and Italian. Family members or friends who are priests or deacons are welcome to conduct the ceremony as well; we just require necessary paperwork to be filed beforehand. Celebrants must follow the guidelines of the Archdiocese of Detroit and be ordained for Catholic ministry. Non-Catholic clergy are welcome to participate according to the guidelines of the Archdiocese of Detroit. Contact the parish with questions.
Given the age of the organ, our parish organist plays at all weddings. If desired, other musicians or cantors are welcome to accompany him.
Marriage preparations may take place at Most Holy Trinity or at another parish. More details about marriage prep at Most Holy Trinity can be found here.
Before the wedding takes place, we require the following.
- Completed A-form
- Sacramental records dated within the past 6 months
- Adequate marriage preparation
If marriage preparations take place at another parish, you are asked to follow the requirements of the church where you are being prepared. The pastor is required to send the marriage file to Most Holy Trinity so the information can be accurately entered into our sacramental records.
If marriage preparations take place at Trinity, the couple will participate in the highly acclaimed Witness to Love program, a very special mentor-based formation process that most couples find enjoyable and helpful for their marriage.
Marriage licenses can be obtained within one month of the wedding. We ask that you bring the marriage license (all three copies) to the parish office one week before your wedding so that the marriage certificate can be accurately completed for signature.
- Please arrive a half hour before your ceremony to ensure the prompt start of the service.
- Most Holy Trinity is a place of sacred worship. Out of respect for the prayerful atmosphere, dresses must have sleeves or straps, if not, then shoulders must be covered (shawls, caplets, toppers, etc.)
- Flowers and adornments are allowed, but nothing that leaves a mark on our historic church. Tape, tacks, pins, nails, staples, and glue are not permitted. Decorations may be free-standing or attached with pew clips or ribbons in a way that respects the historic space.
- Church furnishings must not be moved.
- Aisle runners are allowed.
- If visiting the space is helpful, you are free to make an appointment by calling 313-965-4450. Appointments can be made Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We find that most brides decide that the historic beauty of the soaring architecture is stunning enough, and extra runners/decorations are not necessary.
- Please do not throw petals, rice, birdseed, glitter, confetti, etc. Clean-up is difficult and time-consuming, and poses a safety hazard for those coming to worship. Out of respect for those coming to worship and our very small staff, please refrain from distributing these or any items.
- Photographs are permitted before, during, and after the ceremony.
- Photographers are expected to be as unobtrusive as possible. Movement in the sanctuary, walking on the altar, and flash photography during the ceremony are not permitted. Flash photography and respectful movement is permitted during the entrance processional and recessional. Photographers must be respectful of the space; appropriate attire is expected.
- Pre-ceremony photographs may be taken. The church and grounds surrounding the church are available one half-hour before the wedding ceremony starts.
- Post-ceremony photographs may be taken. The photography session following the wedding will end 90 minutes after the scheduled beginning of the wedding, in consideration for later weddings, parish events and parish staff. (Example: a 2 p.m. wedding will have until 3:30 p.m.).
Your questions are welcomed at any time. We wish you God’s blessing as you prepare for this special day.
Contact the parish office at 313-965-4450. More details can also be found on our Wedding Process page.